Today, August 24, 2013, Dana Brunetti was interviewed by Lori and Michele on Northwest Prime. He talked about a lot of things outside of Fifty Shades of Grey, but eventually the conversation did move to Fifty Shades of Grey, here is what he had to say:
- The movie release date was NOT moved, it will be released on August 1, 2014!
- He and Michael De Luca were in the right place at the right time, and that is how we were lucky enough to get them as producers.
- Dana read the first book before taking on the film, and has since read the last two.
- Ben Affleck will NOT be Christian Grey. The difficulty in casting is that when you read a book you have an image of the character, what you get on screen rarely matches that image. A lot of people will be unhappy with the choice, not matter who they pick.
- Team50 does hear the chatter about casting, and it is considered, but there is so many other factors going into the decision.
- The speed of the film process is actually quite fast. Most films take several years. I think all of our chatter his helping the process!
- Chemistry between lead characters is extremely important, they need to do a chemistry test between the lead actors before signing. Whoever is picked up as Christian will have to test with who they like for Ana. Dana worded it as Christian would be chosen first, then Ana. But, he didn’t say it in a way that convinced me there was a firm plan to cast one before the other. However, I think Christian is the harder character to cast due to the depth of Christian, so I wouldn’t be surprised to have him cast first. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Team50 waited until both were cast before releasing names.
- Team50 hopes there will be 3 movies, but there is no set plan for movies 2 and 3. The focus is entirely on the first movie right now.
It was a very interesting interview.
After this interview Lori and Michele interview Christina Lauren of Beautiful Bastard. I haven’t read the books, but it was interesting to hear that Christina Lauren is two woman writing together.