I’ve decided for 2013 I wanted to make a change in my writing of the Fifty Shades of Grey in the Media posts, where I talk about some of the smaller, but mentionable media stories. Instead of doing one every week or so as stories come out, I’ve decided to make one for each month and then update it as stories come out. Then I’ll just add the new stories to the top and change the date of posting to reflect when I posted the most recent article. We do have a few other things up our sleeves for this year, some you’ll notice, some you wont.
- Fifty Shades of Grey made the top 10 list of wikipedia searches in 2012.
- Digital Book World reports that the top 6 ebooks for 2012 were from the Hunger Games trilogy and Fifty Shades of Grey. No surprise here, in spite of the interesting combination.
- It seems E L James if the highest earning author in Ireland. Again, I have to say I’m not terribly surprised about this.
- Victoria’s Secret had mentioned a while ago that they were working on a Fifty Shades Unofficial line. According to an article from Gather that line is expected to come out once the movie is cast.
- On Tuesday, January 22 at 9PM EST on E! there will be a special about the Dom/sub lifestyle… Yes, my Tivo is set.
- Ian Somerhalder has addressed the rumors about him playing Christian. In a Fanshare article he has said he is interested in the part but that at this point there is nothing official going on, just talk. Sorry Ian fans!
- According to Yahoo News, in Brazil (I think it’s happening in other places too) Fifty Shades of Grey has been pulled off of book store shelves until the books can be sealed and kept out of the prying eyes of children. Ummm, there are lots of other sexy books on the shelves, do they need to be sealed? AND, reading about sex and looking at pictures of naked woman in playboy – not the same thing!
- According to The Telegraph, it seems that Fifty Shades of Grey hasn’t just impacted sex toy sales, but also wine sales. Specifically South Africa’s Constantia dessert wine that is mentioned in Fifty Shades Darker and drank at the masquerade ball.
- James Franco has made a documentary about Kink, the worlds largest producer of BDSM pornography. I believe this is being shown at Sundance. Cafe Stir has a preview of it.
- SPANK! The Fifty Shades Parody is headed to New Orleans. It will be playing at Harrah’s from March 5 to March 17th!
- 50 Shades The Musical is going to Raleigh, NC in April at the Progress Energy Theatre. Tickets are on sale.
- This article is actually a graduate paper on consumerism in Fifty Shades of Grey. Interesting if you’re into that type of analysis.